I ran into this issue a few months ago and now that I have my blogged kicked off, I have a couple things I need to catch up on posting here…so here goes another one:
We had just migrated some mailboxes from one E2K3 SP2 server to another E2K3 SP2 server. A couple users reported that their free/busy information was not being updated and they were receiving the error “Unable to update your free/busy information” when creating new appointments or accepting meeting requests.
The issue came up when I did Step 1. I received a message I had never seen and could find very little reference to it on the web: “Unable to clean your local free/busy information” The key word here is LOCAL. This post doesn’t apply if you don’t have the word LOCAL.
So I proceeded to some of the more advanced free/busy troubleshooting steps:
1. Check for uppercase characters in the free/busy message
2. Check the SiteFolderServer setting
3. Recreated the calendar folder
Still, not working…so I open a PSS case. PSS had only seen a couple instances of this case and the final fix had been to exmerge the mailbox out, delete the mailbox, recreate the mailbox, and exmerge the data back in. I didn’t want to go with that answer because we had several more migrations to go and this would be a lot of overheard if we had to do it regularly.
So worked with PSS some more and finally off of something they said, got a crazy idea…and it worked! So here what is was…it appears to be some problem with the MAPI property PR_FREEBUSY_ENTRYIDS.
UPDATE (09/12/2012): There is a newer Codeplex project that is a much better tool for working in the mailbox. Check out the new version of MFCMAPI.
You can fix this problem with the
MAPI Editor Tool (the tool formerly known as MFCMapi). You will need to create an Outlook profile for the mailbox you want to repair:
1. Choose Session and Logon and Display Store Table
2. Choose the Outlook profile you created
3. Double click the Instance that starts with “Mailbox -”
4. Expand Root – Mailbox
5. Click on IPM_SUBTREE
6. In the right window, if there is a property name of PR_FREEBUSY_ENTRYIDS, right click on it and choose Delete Property (if it exists here…it may not)
7. Expand IPM_SUBTREE
8. Click on Inbox
9. In the right window, if there is a property name of PR_FREEBUSY_ENTRYIDS, right click on it and choose Delete Property
10. Exit out of MAPI Editor.
11. Rerun /cleanfreebusy on the mailbox.
This should resolve the issue…at least it did in our case. I hope this helps someone else and please post a comment if you used this post…I would be interested to know if others experience this! Thanks!